Just as we rush to change the physical thermostat in our life as it gets colder, we need to check where we need to turn up the heat in our spiritual life. • People are dying without the word of God. The responsibility is on us to fuel ourselves.
2 Timothy 1:6 NIV
For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
The best way to change the spiritual temperature of your life is to pray.
• Develop and unlock a life that seeks God.
• No one really wants to do what we need to do to lead the life God wants us to lead
• David prayed constantly:
Psalm 84:1-2 NIV
How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
— The courts of God are not just when we go to church meetings. That’s just the overflow. They’re actually in your own relationship where you do the work of knowing who Jesus is.
There’s a great need in our lives for the touch and power of God.
• People will settle for the counterfeit form of God.
• There are psychics and palm readers all over the place — they’re counterfeit God.
• There’s a worldwide hunger.
• The world is searching to get into something beyond ourselves.
— Every person is wired for a relationship with God.
— Everything you need, you can find in Jesus.
• There’s no competition. Jesus is the name above every name. Every knee bows and every tongue confesses His name. — Jesus is calling people to salvation every moment and encouraging them.
The living God is waiting to bring victory into your circumstance.
Prayer is about bringing God into the everyday.
• It’s easy to bring prayer into form instead of a lifeline. It is a lifeline.
• Just come as you are.
• It’s easy to look out in this city and ask, “Do I matter? Does anyone hear my voice?” He hears you and sees you.
• You can take anything to the foot of the cross. It doesn’t matter what you need.
• We serve a faithful, living God.
Do we tap into the supernatural to power our everyday?
Are we looking with spirit eyes to see what He wants us to see?
• There is no way to rise up to be the answer He’s calling us to be without a prayer life.
We need to spend time in His presence.
He wants to put hunger in our hearts.
• Hunger is a physical need; you’re starving without something.
• Appetite is “Hmm maybe I’ll have this or maybe that”; no desperation — It’s as simple as praying, “Jesus help me. Wake me up again. Stir my soul. I want to go to my grave emptied out.”
There’s a measure of electricity we miss in our life without a prayer life.
• We can take authority.
• The greater victory is not waiting for the crisis to talk to God. We need a life in conversation with Him.
• There can be great authority and power in your life if you consciously start to pray.
• We live in a world where we want others to do it for us. There’ll come a day when we stand before God and give an account of our lives and how we used it. No one else will be there with us.
2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV
…if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
• There is a revelation and a response — Revelation: He is a good and faithful God —
Response: we draw near
1) PRAY IN THE NAME OF JESUS.
• We need to use the name of Jesus.
• The world has a form of godliness.
2 Timothy 3:1-5 NIV
But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God—having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
• The presence of the enemy can’t stand in the name of Jesus.
[Bethany tells a story about a church in Indonesia she visited that bought a beautiful building for about half the price because the people believed it was inhabited by evil spirits. The church decided to take communion and talk about the blood of Jesus in the courtyard when all of a sudden glasses shattered.]
Acts 4:12 NIV
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.
• Speak the name of Jesus and there’s peace, chains fall off, you get healing, et cetera.
2) PRAY SPECIFICALLY.
Matthew 7:7-11 NIV
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
• God wants to give you specific answers to specific prayers.
[Bethany shares a story from a Bible translator who was pregnant while in Papua, New Guinea. She had a bad craving for eggs while there and eggs are precious commodities. Finally, she had enough and gave in, asking God to deliver some eggs to her in any way possible. The next day, someone came with some eggs for her. She was delighted but it wasn’t long before she craved them again. So again, she prayed that God would give her some more eggs. Eggs showed up and from that time on she had eggs once a week until the end of her pregnancy.] • God wants you to ask. He wants to prove Himself and show you how good He is. His heart is toward you.
3) PRAY EXPECTING THAT GOD WILL ANSWER.
Daniel 10:10-13 NIV
A hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. He said, “Daniel, you who are highly esteemed, consider carefully the words I am about to speak to you, and stand up, for I have now been sent to you.” And when he said this to me, I stood up trembling. The he continued, “Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them. But the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia.
• Heaven knows the people who are before the Lord. —Daniel had fasted and prayed for 21 days. —You can be famous in heaven for your prayers.
• No matter the season, don’t stop praying and believing. • Desperation always gets the attention of heaven even when people don’t understand.